Organic Farming: Future of Public Health
Even the fruits, vegetable and grains are rich in nutrients compared to conventionally grown products. There are multiple benefits of organic farming/food some of them are:
A technique that involves agriculture of land, crops, rearing of animals and growing plants, vegetables, and fruits without using chemicals is called organic farming. This eco-friendly practice avoids synthetic substances such as fertilizers as far as possible. It relies on using only biological materials that help nourish the soil, keep it fertile, and make crops better. As a side result, it also helps in preserving the natural diversity and brings down pollution and wastage.
Organic farming reduces public health risk by minimal exposure of toxic chemicals and pesticides, especially to children who are more vulnerable to pesticides and chemicals. Food produced organically not only reduces public health risk but also is rich in nutrients, such as Vitamin-C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. Even the fruits, vegetable and grains are rich in nutrients compared to conventionally grown products. There are multiple benefits of organic farming/food some of them are:
- Antibiotic Resistance: One of the benefits of organic food is that its antibiotic-resistance. Non-organic food is produced with chemicals thus people who consume non-organic food are susceptible to consume antibiotics, hormones and harmful chemicals. This can make them vulnerable to diseases and endanger their health.
- Strengthens immune system: The traditional farming focuses of increasing the production of farm output. For example, the notion of producing more cereals, more meat and bigger fruits through genetic modifications and use of growth hormones seems to solve some of the world’s food insecurity concerns. The effects are not yet visible, but in the long-term, the consequences are sensitivity to allergens and a major reduction in immune system strength. By eating organic foods, the risks of decline in immune system strength are significantly reduced because organic foods are not altered at all. Furthermore, organic foods have quality and higher vitamin and mineral contents that help to strengthen the human immune system.
- Antioxidant content: The positive effect of antioxidants has emerged multiple times in the study of organic farming. It is because organic food is chemical free and are rich in nutrients, so they do not react with the vitamins and minerals thus lowering the essential positive impacts of antioxidants in food products. Latest studies propose that the consumption of organic food can contribute to more intake of nutritionally advantageous antioxidants and limited exposure to heavy metals. The positive impacts of antioxidants obtained from organic foods include prevention of heart disease, cancer, vision problems, premature aging, and cognitive malfunction.
- Environmental Safety: Not only health but organic farming also improves environmental factors. The use of chemicals in farming not only harm the food the also the land. It makes them infertile and increases soil erosion. Organic farming does not use any chemicals thus leading to a fertile and erosion free land. Fertile land also affects the global warming thus organic farming reduces the effect of global warming. Water conservation, discouraging algal bloom, supporting animal health and welfare, encouraging biodiversity are some of the environmental benefit of organic farming.
- Better overall health: According to research published in the journal JAMA, people who eat organic food have a 25% lower risk of getting cancer. This research was carried out for five years with a follow-up that found that organic food reduces the chances of breast cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer and colorectal cancer. Organically grown food is also beneficial for heart health. The organic food consumes less oil and fats thus it also takes care of the heart. Organic food is also considered as a rich source of Vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. Individuals with heart-related issues are strictly advised to consume more organic food. With so many benefits of organic food, moreover, it improves the overall health. Having organic food regularly ensures better health and nourishment and leads to better living.